Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Until the Cows Come Home?

First a few recent photos to remind everyone (me included) of just how precious miss Eva is. Cutest sleeper ever.








It's a good thing she's adorable, since it's because of her that I've had to say goodbye to all of this:


These past few months have been filled with blood, sweat, and tears--literally. Several blood tests and a sweat chloride test for Eva, and a fair amount of tears on both mine and her part. (What can I say, I'm a worrier.) Not to mention various doctor's appointments, stool samples, medicines, weight checks, etc. Somehow we're going to get this girl to gain weight! I wish I had her problem ;) Basically, she just isn't growing at (or even close to) the rate our doctors would like to see. We just had her six month appointment and she was in the tenth percentile for height (mind boggling to her short parents) at 24.5 inches, but still not even on the charts for weight at just 11 pounds.

A recent visit to the GI pede's office has led us to think Eva quite possibly has a milk allergy--hence my recent change in diet. Though breastmilk is fine, the protein in cow's milk is what (we think) Eva is having trouble digesting properly. Apparently this is pretty common in babies, but it was news to me! I'm just so glad to finally have an answer that makes sense and, most importantly, a way to fix the problem. The only downside? Milk is in EVERYTHING. Not only am I cutting out several of my daily staples (yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese), but I'm also constantly checking labels for ingredients. Anybody out there who knows of any good milk-free food choices, share the love! And until further notice there will be no cow's (milk) coming (to our) home ;)

5 comments:

LBJ said...

Mom's are constantly called upon to sacrifice for their little ones. Thanks for being willing to give up so many yummy things for our sweet little Eva. You're a good Mom and she is adorable, asleep or awake.

Stacy and Derek said...

Sprouts is a really great place to shop if you're on a special diet. Everything is labeled very clearly and the prices are pretty good. I hope it works for little Eva! It's so hard when you just don't know what's wrong with your baby. (We have been there!) :)

Sara Zahn said...

Ohh Jenna! I am so sorry you guys are going through such a hard time. It is one thing when you are sick, its another completely different heartache when your little girl is sick. Autumn had a milk allergy, she couldn't drink my breast milk at all, so she was on Soy formula. But, when I did try to breast feed her, I found that Rice milk tasted a lot better than soy (at least to me) It isn't the same just drinking it straight, but it doesn't seem to be that big of a difference on cereal and stuff... Is it the milk as a whole? Or that Lactose? If it is Lactose they make a lot of lactose-free ice cream and cheese...
My grandpa fell off a roof about a week ago and he isn't doing very well, so I may be coming to AZ very soon. It will just be me and Autumn, but I would really enjoy your company while I am down :)

Sara Zahn said...

Ohh! I have a TON of little girl clothes that are really cute if you would like some... What size does Eva wear?

Unknown said...

Hi Jenna - this is aunt Janet's (Brent's sister) granddaughter Lindsay. I just saw your post on having to give up dairy, and I have eaten a highly vegan diet for a while and recently made a website with lists of non-dairy food items - I hope it's helpful:
http://theveggiedudeist.webs.com/

Please tell Scott hello and take care,

Lindsay